08 September 2011

onward

we packed up, hopped in the truck, and were on our way.

"if you need me to take over, just let me know," I said.

but I didn't fully mean it. on the one hand, I wanted to contribute to the 16-hour push down south, and didn't want fahj to have to do it on his own. on the other hand, I know I make a fantastic co-pilot. besides, he did the drive to New York without any help. I knew he could manage.

and then we made it no further than exit 8 on the turnpike, barely out of the city, and he told me that I was taking over.

I cheerily smiled, grabbed a venti iced coffee from le Starbucks, silently prayed and we headed on our way.

I've never driven an SUV of that size for more than a few yards. and have never driven anywhere for more than an hour at a time. not to mention the truck was fully packed, with only side mirrors to help position myself, the pouring rain refused to let up until Maryland, and I drove until we had to refill halfway through Virginia.

I had no idea I had that in me.

in my autobiography, I think we've just hit Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment