23 April 2011

re: a tab for you

my dear friend, fellow tab-hoarder, and co-leader of the New Sagittarius World Order sent me a NYT blog post. I'm not sure what about it made him think that it's something I'd want to or should read--the email contained only the link in the body--but I'm glad he knows me well enough to want to share.
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/look-at-me-im-crying/

so, friend,
you're going to think I'm wacky, but hear me out. I am on what my inadequate vocabulary can only categorize as a "spiritual journey." I hate that classifier for this stage, because I think the truth of it is that I'm going through life, and am probably more present in my thoughts than I've ever been before. so yes, fine, I'm on a journey. it's called life.

I was watching an episode of Oprah and there was a big Hollywood director on promoting his soul-searching documentary called "I Am". The gist of it is that our world has become so competitive that we've completely lost sight of what is important. given that I'm on a documentary kick right now, I'm looking up showtimes and am trying to get time on Tutu's overbooked calendar as we have to see it. one of the points he makes in the film is that our competitiveness has fueled over-consumption and an obsession with stuff. but animal societies are about community and democracy, and humans are--though should not be--different. but instead of helping others, we continue to "help" only ourselves, because the laws of competition say you cannot reach out a hand to pull your human brother up. but we have to recognize that we are all humans, and we are all connected.

having cried on the train only a week ago, I think it's no coincidence that you sent this article to me.

we're all connected.

wow, that was quite the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment